Tuesday, January 22, 2013

RHEL 6 kickstart maps first hard drive to /dev/sdc

I was installing RHEL 6 on a Dell PowerEdge R610, and for some strange reason the first drive was mounted as /dev/sdc instead of /dev/sda. I saw someone else had the same issue on CentOS 6:

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=36632

The solution: disable the iDRAC virtual media. I had to press Ctrl-E to get into the DRAC menu when it prompted me during the boot process, then I had to arrow down to Virtual Media Configuration and change the Virtual media setting from attached to detached.

Or from the iDRAC web interface: System --> Console/Media --> Configuration --> Virtual media --> Status --> change to Detach --> Apply

Now the first drive is mapped as /dev/sda again.

2 comments:

  1. Your title mentions kickstart, so I'm not 100% sure how to do this in that context, but have you considered mounting by UUID or device label?

    See https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28912

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A UUID would be unique for every machine, correct? We use Kickstart in combination with PXE to deploy RHEL to new machines, so if UUID is globally unique, I don't think that would be feasible.

      The device label might be a good idea, though. Thanks!

      Delete